THE EARTH IS THE THIRD of the eight planets that orbit the Sun It is the largest and densest rocky planet, and the only one known to support life.
About 70 per cent f the Earth surface is covered by water, which is not found in liquid form on the surface of any other planet There are four main layers the inner core, the outer core, the mantle, and the crust.
At the heart of the planet the solid inner core has a temperature of about 6,600 C The heat free this inner core causes material in the molten outer core and mantle to circulate in convection currents.
It is thought that these convection currents generate the Earth’s magnetic field, which extends into One space as the magnetosphere.
The Earth’s atmosphere helps screen out of the harmful radiation from the Sun, stops most meteoroids from aching the planet’s surface, and traps enough heat to prevent extremes of cold The Earth has one natural satellite, the Moon, which is thought to have formed when a huge asteroid impacted Earth in the distant past.
Diameter: 7,926 miles (12,760 km)
Orbit: 365.24 days
Day: 23 hours, 56 minutes
Here is the list of top 10 Facts about the Earth
10 Facts about The Earth
- The Earth’s Atmosphere Extends to a Distance of 10,000 km
- The Earth’s Molten Iron Core Creates a Magnetic Field
- Earth Doesn’t Take 24 Hours to Rotate on its Axis: It actually takes 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds
- Earth has 1 Moon and 2 Co-Orbital Satellites: They’re called 3753 Cruithne and 2002 AA29
- The Earth’s rotation is gradually slowing. approximately 17 milliseconds per hundred years
- The Earth is the densest planet in the Solar System approximately 5.52 grams per cubic centimetre.
- ISS is the Most Expensive Object Ever Constructed ($150 billions)
- The Earth is 18 galactic years old.
- Our Moon is bigger than Pluto
- Antarctica contains about 90% of the world’s ice (and thereby about 70% of the world’s fresh water)
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.